A Book I Would Love to Write

A book that I would love to write is Living Through Hurricane Sandy.  I would like to write this book because I don’t think people realize the amount of destruction it caused unless they are living through it.  It also makes me feel better to talk about what has happened.

Our part of the neighborhood was evacuated, but we wanted to stay behind to make sure that no one broke in.  Monday afternoon it was high tide and the tide never receded much.  Then around dinner time the tide started coming up again, so my parents and I were watching it to see if it was going to come in the house.  My dad received a phone call from a close family friend saying that their house was falling apart and they had to get out.  They wound up walking around the block in a wetsuit in waist high water and 90 mile per hour wind.  We were all sitting in the living room downstairs when we saw water coming through the floor.  Then water started coming into the house through the doors.  We moved upstairs to watch the news and lost power about 30 minutes later.  We heard my father’s truck shorting out and looked out the window to see that it was underwater.  We heard the wind and the house was shaking so much that the pictures on the walls were banging and the water in the toilette bowl was splashing around.  We saw transformers blowing and lighting up the sky.  As we were looking out the back door we saw boats floating down the canal going very fast crashing into other boats and almost hitting houses.  While we were upstairs we smelt gasoline so my father went downstairs to make sure everything was okay and had to walk through waist high water.   I must say that this was the most frightening experience of my life.

The next morning when we woke up the water receded, but the tide was still high.  When we went downstairs there was muck left on the floor, belongings from every room all over the house and everything smelt like oil.  We spent most of the day throwing out as much stuff as possible, moving furniture and ripping out rugs. The amount of stuff that we had to dispose of was unreal.  Later in the day I took a walk around the neighborhood to see the destruction and it brought tears to my eyes seeing the amount of damage this hurricane caused to the neighborhood I’ve known my whole life.